During Shanty weekend the crew of the Excelsior called in at the Harwich Museum and in return we were invited for a tour of this wonderful 100 year old vessel.
Excelsior is an authentically restored fishing smack of the Lowestoft fishing fleet and a member of the National Historic Fleet.
She was built by John Chambers of Lowestoft in 1921 and worked until 1936 before being converted into a motor coaster.
She measures 23 metres (75 ft) long with a beam of 5.9 metres (19 ft) and is ketch rigged and is the last traditional sailing trawler able to tow a full-sized traditional trawl net. Excelsior was restored in 1989 and operates as a sail training vessel based out of Lowestoft, able to accommodate up to 17 people, including 12 trainees or passengers.